This is probably one of the most relaxing and refreshing treatments that we do in our clinic. We have been giving back facials for over 10 years with great results. The only downfall to this at home spa treatment is that you’ll need someone to give you the treatment. I bet you’ll be able to find somebody to give you a back facial if you promise to return the favor. 😉
Here is what you’ll need:
- massage table w/twin sheet set , optional
- relaxing music, candles, and other elements to enhance relaxation
- small Igloo insulated container or Crockpot
- plastic bowl filled with warm water
- small plastic trash can
- 10 hand towels
- 1 large bath towel
- exfoliating gloves
- body wash
- body scrub
- facial / body mask
- Grapeseed oil
- essential oil, optional
- If you are using the Igloo, dampen all 10 of the hand towels with hot water ( you may put the dampened towels in the microwave to heat them more thoroughly, if you’d like) and then store them in the Igloo to keep them warm. Or, if you are using the Crockpot, dampen all 10 hand towels in warm water and place in Crockpot. Set Crockpot to low and let heat through for about 30 minutes.
- Set up the area you’ll be using…gather supplies in an orderly fashion near the treatment table/bed and set the mood with music, candles, etc.
- Have the person receiving the treatment lie face down on a massage table or bed (note: you may need to wash the sheets afterward) with their back bare. Ask them to close their eyes and relax.
- Put on the exfoliating gloves and dip your gloved hands into the warmed water. Squeeze a little body wash into your gloved hands. Rub your hands together and then apply the body wash to the recipient’s back. Be sure to lightly rub the entire back, spreading the wash all over the back with your gloved hands. Do this for about 5 minutes. For people with itchy backs…they will fall in love instantly. <3 Take off the exfoliating gloves. Carefully get a warmed towel out of the Igloo or Crockpot…be sure it isn’t too hot before placing it on the recipient’s back. Allow the heat to soak in for a few minutes and then clean the body wash off their back with the towel. Put the cold dirty towel in the plastic trash can.
- Place a small amount of scrub into your hands and drip a few drops of warmed water onto the scrub. Rub your hands together and then apply scrub to recipient’s back. Lightly scrub their entire back for 5 minutes. If the scrub gets too abrasive, add more water. Rinse your hands in the warm water. Carefully get a warmed towel out of the Igloo or Crockpot…be sure it isn’t too hot before placing it on the recipient’s back. Allow the heat to soak in for a few minutes and then clean the scrub off their back with the towel. Put the cold dirty towel in the plastic trash can.
- Place a medium amount of body mask into your hands. Rub your hands together and apply mask to back, being sure to cover the entire area. Add more mask as needed. Sometimes you’ll need to add just a drop or two of water to help spread the mask evenly and smoothly. Rinse your hands and allow the mask to dry, about 5-10 minutes. While the mask is drying, take the plastic bowl of dirty water and clean it out. Just allow the recipient to relax…don’t talk to them or disturb them. After the mask is dry, apply 2 warmed towels to the recipient’s back to make sure all areas are covered with the moistened towel…of course, be sure the towels aren’t too hot before applying. Allow the heat and moisture of the towel to soak into the skin for about a minute or 2…this will help loosen the mask. Get as much of the mask off as possible with the same 2 towels. Get a 3rd warmed towel and use it to get all the rest of the mask off the back. Put all the dirty towels into the plastic trash can.
- Be sure your hands and the recipient’s back are free of any soap, scrub, and mask. Place some oil into your hands and rub them together. Apply the oil to the back and massage their back. Be sure to be firm, yet gentle, and be thorough. Massage their back for 10 minutes (note: before you begin ask the recipient how they like their back massaged…light, heavy, tapping, squeezing, etc.).
- Apply a little more oil to their back…do not rub in.
- Place 2 warmed hand towels across their back, making sure they aren’t too hot. Layer the rest of the warmed towels on top…creating a pack. Place the large bath towel, folded in half, on the top of all the hot towels. Allow the pack to warm and soak for 5 minutes. Then slowly remove all the towels (placing them in the plastic trash can). At this point, the recipient may feel a little cold. Lightly and quickly rub one last little bit of oil into the skin for moisture. Cover the recipients back with a sheet or blanket. Allow them to rest for another 10-15 minutes before disturbing them.
- Clean up any messes.
- Launder the dirty towels.
- Put away all ingredients.